First of all let me once again say MUSH THANKS to all the wonderful people and businesses who joined Team Dew Claw, your support and kind words of encouragement mean so much to us, Thank You!
We are Very Pleased to be welcoming Constance Alexander and her family who have joined us as the official White Mountain Checkpoint Sponsors!!!There are still a few checkpoints without sponsors, and although I will be traveling the trail it is not to late to join Team Dew Claw and help offset the costs of this amazing undertaking through our Checkpoint Sponsor Program.
*Please note I will not be available to do web updates or thank you emails until after we return from Nome, and sleep a little. But all checkpoint sponsors will be recognized on the website and blog on my return to civilization. In addition all checkpoint sponsors will be receiving a limited edition custom photo book, to be shipped in May 2013.
While I am on the trail I want to make sure people know where they can follow along. Because I (Jodi) am the blogger and facebooker in the family, and it is safe to say I will be nowhere near a computer for awhile. Not to mention that my focus will completely be on caring for the team and making sure they have a fun and positive experience on their trip to Nome.
- But you can still follow along on the Iditarod Facebook page, or you might choose to purchase the Iditarod Insider subscription.
- Or read coverage at the Anchorage Daily News
- The Alaska Dispatch has a great section dedicated to Iditarod coverage
- Iditablog is well worth checking out, and you can subscrube to them for free
- Also KUAC (Fairbanks public radio) will be on the trail reporting this year
- And Go Mush for all your mushing news
Now that you know where to follow let me tell you about the beautiful dogs who I will be traveling with.
- Orchid – as sweet as she is tough, a leader and super model in Albert Lewis’s book Born to Run
- Ribdon - a leader who has already seen the Iditarod trail
- Sparrow – Ribdons sister who is also a wonderful leader, she ran with me to Nikolia last year. But she developed a sore shoulder and was sent home early to recover.
- Chase-up – young leader
- Sweet Pea
- Cricket – one of the Buggers who will be running her first 1000 mile race
- Lubbock – a powerhouse and veteran of multiple 1000 mile races
- Pepsi – one half of the beautiful blue eyed twins, with her sister…
- Topaz – the other beautiful blue eyed twin
- Big Dude – his name says it all
- Galaxy – beautiful and black like the night sky, also a leader
- Guetknecht – the oldest at age 9. He is the father or Ribdon, Sparrow, Carrot, Chase-Um, Thistle, and Sweet Pea. He is grandfather to MK and the Twins (Pepsi & Topaz) and he is Orchid’s uncle. He has finished both the Yukon Quest and Iditarod more then once, and we hope is experience and wisdom will add to this young team.
You can see some wonderful photos of the kids taken by our friend and photographer Kristie Drury Lent from a pre-race training run where we took her for a ride. (shared in her facebook album)